Friday, September 12, 2008

Sourdough starter Day 3

Now we're gettin' somewhere! Bubbly goodness - I can see the bread at the end of the tunnel (quoting Joy the Baker).

I don't think the photo does it justice, but it has pouffed up and is bubbly and slightly frothy. Last night I added 1/2 cup flour & 1/2 cup water to the jar, after dumping out half of the jar contents. Now if I was thinking ahead, I would've taken the half I dumped out & started another jar for a friend! But I'm not that organized. Actually I'm lucky I remembered to feed the thing :)


You can see a layer of yellowish liquid running through the starter. That’s the hooch. I just stirred the starter well before its feeding. When the starter is done, I will be sure to post recipes and ideas for using the sourdough starter. In the meantime, give it a try - the pancakes ALONE will be worth it :)

No comments: