Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Fall Leaves

As Thanksgiving draws near, I'm so thankful to be able to be home this week with my kids! I genuinely tried to make the most of our time together baking and doing fun things.

Today Nolan and I made melted crayon leaves! When I saw the idea over at Running with Scissors, I knew this was a toddler friendly craft! What boy doesn't like to destroy things, i.e, shredding up crayons and smashing and melting them?!?
First we got old crayons together in the right colors and went to town grating and shredding. There really wasn't an easy way to accomplish this. We tried the cheese grater, scissors, vegetable peeler and a razor blade.

 Here's all you will need (iron not shown here).
 Take your cut up crayons in a variety of fall colors...
 make a sandwich with them between two sheets of wax paper...
 lay down a towel on your ironing board and a paper towel on top to save your iron and melt away.  The crayon shavings will liquefy so take care not to spread it outside of the wax paper sheets.  Once they are cooled cut into leaf shapes and display in any way you like.
 I chose to make a little slit and string them onto a ribbon. Nolan had tons of fun choosing the colors and sprinkling the shavings onto the wax paper.

While this was originally supposed to hang in my window (as seen here) for all to see as I host Thanksgiving at my house this year,  it will now be travelling with us, along with ALL of the other food, decor, etc. to my parents house.  My dad went 4 wheeling last Friday and ended up breaking his leg.  The festivities are coming to him now!  If you didn't want to drive all the way to my house, Dad, all you had to do was say so! ha ha

Happy Thanksgiving!


1 comment:

Jessica @ Running With Scissors said...

looks awesome. Love the garland idea